Rowdy, Taylor & Blake

Rowdy, Taylor & Blake

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Mother's Day

I often look at my children with amazement, their beauty, their personalities, truly blow me away. Many times, I can't believe I get to be their mother. It is no easy job, but it is the only job I ever want to have for the rest of my life. I may not get a full nights rest because one, if not both of my children are crying, I may not always get the laundry done before the hamper overflows or folded for several days, or  maybe not even until I do laundry again and need the basket. I don't normally have my hair and makeup done, and many times I am still in my pj bottoms or in sweats because I am busy being mom. It isn't what most picture when they hear the word "luxury", but it is in my world. I will admit, I do complain to my husband when the kids have had a rough day and I am at my whits end, but would I rather go to a 9-5 job? Never.

When it comes down to it, I would much rather be home, with my kids, folding laundry just so Blake can unfold it for me, so I can hear him call me "mama". I will take rushing to take a shower just in case one of the kids wakes up from their nap early so that I can smell Brooklyn's newborn scent. I will take not looking like a supermodel right now so I could have my two kids in the last 15 months. I will take the crying, the sound of plastic bowls and cups tumbling out of the cupboards because my one year old loves to "cook" and "stir" just like mom or sometimes just because he knows it drives me crazy and he bolts out of the kitchen the second everything hits the floor. I would much rather have spit up on my shirt and endless diapers than miss my kids grow up. I will take Blake squishing his banana-slimed hands in his freshly washed hair so I can experience him coming up and hugging my legs or when I am sitting on the floor, him coming up behind me and putting his arms around my neck and kissing me. I will take tantrums so I can watch Blake love on Brooklyn and one day, she love on him right back. Those and many more are all moments I would never want to miss. I am grateful that Rowdy is willing to sacrifice missing those moments so that I can be home with our children, raising them to grow and be who we hope they will be.

I am so lucky to be Blake and Brooklyn's mother, the thought of not having my children is unimaginable and I hope I learn to cherish every moment with them, even the not-so-fun moments. They are growing up right before my eyes, and at a rather uncomfortable fast pace. One day, they will be graduating, going off to college, missions, getting married and having their own kids, but luckily right now, Blake is in awe of the flowers and nature he see's on his walks and Brooklyn is snoozing away either in my arms or in her bassinet. They know no danger or fear, but rather curiosity and the desire to be with mom and dad all the time, and right now, I am perfectly okay with that.

Happy Mother's Day to every woman who has ever played a motherly role in a child's life. You make a difference, even if you do not always see it. One of my favorite people, my sister Lacey, doesn't have children of her own yet, but she is my kids' second mom, I know Blake see's her that way and Brooklyn will someday as well. Being a mom is the most important job on the planet, and today we celebrate all that you do and sacrifice for your children and the children you Mother.












1 comment: